After recent series of abduction and killings fashioned to the Children The United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund has raised alarm condemning such vices that are being witnessed in Nairobi, Mombasa and other parts of the Country.
In a statement issued to newsroom on Friday, UNICEF Kenyan representative Maniza Zaman said that all the people involved in such vices should be brought to book and additional measures on children protection imposed.
“We need to redouble our efforts to ensure that children are protected wherever they are – at home, in schools, and in public spaces,” Zaman said.
“We need psychosocial support for child victims and their families, and we need to ensure that the public is vigilant and knows how to recognize and report any kind of violence against children.”
In addition Zaman says there is a need to ensure the safety and protection of children, and that the public is well sensitized and empowered as well as involved in such campaigns.
“We need a ‘whole of society’ approach, involving the Government, communities, parents and caregivers, teachers, and children themselves. No child should ever go through the traumatic experience of being a victim of violence and abuse,” she said
Last year, the Ministry of Labour with support from UNICEF launched a five-year National Prevention and Response Plan on Violence against Children, which was in response to persistently high rates of violence against children in Kenya.
The plan includes a public information campaign ‘Spot It, Stop It’ which aims to raise public awareness of violence against children and how to prevent and report it.
Adults and Children have been encouraged to speak up about violence meted to them, seek support from a trusted adult, a children officer, or the Child Helpline on 116 (toll-free), and report cases to the police.
This comes as the suspect in the kidnapping and killing of minors Masten Wanjala remains in custody for 30 days to help in search of other bodies even as investigation continues.