Kinoti Told Off Over Plans To Revive Post Election Violence Cases

Kinoti Told Off Over Plans To Revive Post Election Violence Cases

Director of Criminal Investigations George Kinoti has come under criticism from Nakuru leaders over his planned revival of the 2007/08 post-election violence cases.

The leaders said Kinoti’s timing was wrong and could fuel ethnic animosity in Rift Valley ahead of the 2022 General Election.

Nakuru women representative Liza Chelule accused Kinoti of inciting communities and raising tension in the country by trying to reopen old cases.

Ms Chelule said the matter had already been put to rest by Kenya National Human Rights Commission and the Commission of Inquiry on Post-Election Violence (CIPEV) which was chaired by retired Judge Philip Wak and the subsequent trial of President Uhuru Kenyatta and his Deputy William Ruto at the International Criminal Court at The Hague.

“Kinoti should not wade into political wars by using victims of 2007 PEV. He cannot claim to have the capacity to do a better job than KNHRC and Waki commission,” she said.

The women representative challenged the government to activate the reports of the two commissions that investigated the chaos if indeed they are not playing politics.

Former Nakuru Mayor Benson Wangai Mwangi also waded into the debate saying the reopening of the cases on account of threats to individuals was likely to polarize the country on ethnic lines.

He challenged Mr Kinoti to explain how security agencies failed to find any evidence in 2008 to try the perpetrators only for DCI to turn around now and claim they are preparing a watertight case against the offenders.

“Many will read ulterior political motives in re-opening these cases on account of threats to .in the past no evidence to prosecute anyone in the 2007-8 violence, has been found” Mwangi said.

Kinoti on Monday pledged to prepare a watertight case against the 2007/08 Post-Election Violence perpetrators after receiving statements from some of the victims at the DCI Headquarters in Kiambu County.

He said police have already collected 118 cases from witnesses and complainants which included 48 cases of forceful displacement of people.

He exuded confidence in the collection of evidence saying police will prepare a watertight case that criminal elements will find too difficult to escape.

“We will carry the bible and swear before the court saying that this person killed that person and grabbed his land,” he said.

He expressed optimism on the country’s system adding that it has the capability to try the cases and serve justice to the victims

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *