Traders cry foul over extortion

Traders cry foul over extortion

Traders in Naivasha are up in arms over harassment and extortion by a group of people claiming to be from the Music copyright society of Kenya.

The traders mainly operating cyber cafes have in the last two weeks lost thousands of shillings through illegal fines imposed by the group which is backed by security officers.

Incidentally, despite the officers arresting over 30 people in the last one week, no one has been taken to court or charged with any offence.

To this end, the traders have called on police to help unmask the fake officers’ failure to which they will deal with them.

According to one of the traders Simon Peshi, the group raided his cyber-cafe and went through his machines before whisking him to Naivasha police station.

Peshi said that he suspected that the group was illegal after demanding that they produce their registration and identity cards.

“In the police station one of them asked me how much cash I had and that is the time it hit me that these were extortionists,” he said.

He was released without any charges and his computers which had confiscated returned after he protested the arrest as the group went for more people

Another victim Joseph Kariuki, narrated how he was forced to pay Sh5,000 after being arrested and detained in the police station for over two hours.

He accused police of working with the conmen adding that officials of the Copyright association should come clear on the issues.

“It has become the normal for this group to raid the town and arrest youths on flimsy grounds and we have had enough,” he said.

On his part, Daniel Kimani told how he received a call about the arrest of his daughter by the officers who were demanding Sh10,000 before she could be released.

He said that his efforts to know the motive behind the arrest did not bear any fruits before the daughter and other suspects were locked in the police cells.

“We paid Sh5,000 as cash bail but the officers told us that this was instead a fine and released my daughter unconditionally with all her equipment,” he said.

Speaking on phone, Naivasha OCPD Samuel Waweru said that the issue had not been raised with his office but promised to follow it up

“These are serious allegations against my officers and we shall definitely follow this matter to the conclusive end,” he said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *